What we do
ABOUT KOOKABURRA KIDS CAMPS
Kookaburra Kids Camps are free, and offer young carer kids both respite from their carer role, as well as the chance to participate in a range of fun activities, such as canoeing, archery, giant swings, go-karts and much more.
A central part of the Kookaburra Kids Camp is the Chat Group run each day by our team of qualified volunteer leaders. Chat Group makes Kookaburra Kids Camp unique to other children’s camps as it provides an opportunity to acknowledge the fact that all campers have a commonality – having a person in their family with mental illness. Chat Group provides an opportunity to learn about mental illness and how it affects families; share their experiences and to discover and improve their coping skills and resilience. This all takes place in a fun-filled, supportive and caring atmosphere, and is developed and overseen by people who are highly trained in this area.
Chat Group is important for Kookaburra Kids because:
- Children cope better if they have age-appropriate information about their family member’s mental illness
Children often feel ‘different’ from their peers – Chat Group is a unique opportunity for children to realise they are not so ‘different’, and it can provide an important sense of belonging for children
- Children need to know it is okay to talk to someone other than their family about their feelings and know they are not ‘betraying’ their family member by doing so. Children need people other than their parents, who support and care about them
- To reassure children and dispel any myths they may believe
- To identify coping skills that can increase the child’s resilience. Resilient can cope more effectively with challenges, and overcome adversity
Overall, Kookaburra Camps are designed to achieve:
- Education about mental illness
- Increased ability to cope effectively
- Increased resiliency
- Increased self-expression and communication
- Development of creativity
- Reduction in feelings of isolation
- Increase in self-esteem
- Increased support network
- Having lots of fun!
ABOUT ACTIVITY DAYS
Held during school holidays Kookaburra Kids catch up with friends from camp for a fun FREE day out. Activities can include ice skating, laser tag, bowling, movies, putt putt golf and beach activities just to name a few.
ALL CAMPS AND ACTIVITIES ARE FREE TO THE KIDS
TRANSPORT IS PROVIDED
Subscribe to our newsletter to keep up to date with all the camps and fun activities throughout the year. Our full camp calendar is listed below.