What is Chat Group?
Chat Group makes Kookaburra Kids unique to other children’s programs as it provides an opportunity to acknowledge the fact that all our young people have a commonality and provide an important sense of belonging for our young people.
Chat Group creates an opportunity to learn about mental illness and how it affects families; share their experiences and to discover and improve their coping skills and resilience.
Camp Chat Group:
Chat Group on camp is run by Kookaburra leaders and it occurs on Saturday and Sunday morning at camp. Each young person in Chat Group will receive a booklet (Kookabook) containing activities, education, and coping resources.
Saturday Chat Group – focuses on learning about mental illness and diagnosis, myth busting and sharing ideas and experiences.
Sunday Chat Group – focuses on identifying their strengths, learning, and improving skills to cope with daily stressors, accessing supports and resources within the community.
AD Chat Group:
AD Chat Group is run by Kookaburra leaders and will combine resources from both Saturday and Sunday Camp Chat Groups and additional resources.
- Chat Group on a full day activity day is 45 minutes
- Chat Group on a half day activity day is 20 minutes.
WHY is Chat Group important for Kookaburra Kids:
- Children cope better if they have age-appropriate information about mental illness.
- Children often feel ‘different’ from their peers – Chat Group is a unique opportunity for children to realise they are not so ‘different’, and it can provide an important sense of belonging for children
- To reassure children and dispel any myths they may believe
- To identify coping skills that can increase the child’s resilience. Resilient children can cope more effectively with challenges and overcome adversity.
Overall Chat group is designed to achieve:
- Education about mental illness
- Increased ability to cope effectively
- Increased resiliency
- Increased self-expression and communication
- Development of creativity
- Reduction in feelings of isolation
- Increase in self-esteem
- Increased support network
- Having lots of fun!